CAA provides professional public policy advocacy for the entire spectrum of arts stakeholders with the following:
- Advocacy for All: From the smallest troupe to the largest institution, from the solo artist to the largest organization, from the most diverse to the most mainstream, regardless of cultural segment, economic standing, or geographic location, CAA provides professional advocacy for all arts stakeholders.
- Accurate and Timely Communication: Strive to keep CAA members, arts stakeholders, elected officials, policy makers, and the media informed through legislative updates, action alerts, and website information.
- Pragmatic Productivity: Maintain positive and productive relationships with all elected and appointed public servants. Continue CAA’s legacy of identifying, cultivating and sustaining arts support across the political spectrum.
- Fresh Thinking: Create and communicate modern and innovative solutions to current challenges that face the arts community. Seek new models that can be accomplished and sustained in the current fiscal and political climate.
- Drive Leadership: Encourage arts supporters in the State Senate and State Assembly to take a leadership role in addressing important policy areas that impact the arts as designated by CAA members.
- Increase Inclusion: Ensure the arts are included in public policy discourse and decision making.
- Ensure Awareness: Raise the profile of the arts in our state.
- National Parity: Increase California per capita spending and investment in the arts to a level comparable with other states. Increase California’s share of federal support for the arts.
CAA Policy Framework (adopted January 2023)
We advocate for:
Access to arts and culture for all people in all parts of the state
Support for artists, creative spaces/communities that are thriving and able to achieve their fullest expression
Equitable distribution of programmatic, financial, and informational resources
Arts as a tool for social change.
Sustained and increased investment in arts, culture and creativity, prioritizing historically underinvested communities
The inclusion and recognition of arts and culture in all community and economic development solutions
Resources to expand and promote cultural placekeeping.
Thriving wages, affordable housing/space, equitable creative employment opportunities, and social protections for the creative workforce
Incentivizing creative industries and investing in creative workforce development
Preserving charitable tax deductions benefiting individuals and nonprofit arts organizations
- Support for creators’ rights, public art, business loans & technical assistance